Fireground Strategies: Ensuring Hard Environment Success

Track: Instructor Development Conference

Session Number: 1
Date: Sat, Sep 29th, 2018
Time: 11:15 AM - 12:15 PM

Description:

The outcome of the 1% of the time we spend on the fireground is based on the actions, discipline, and leadership we display the other 99% of the time in the soft environment. This presentation will seek to challenge existing and prospective officers in preparation, attitude, philosophical approach, and operational and organizational skill both in the hard environment (on the fireground) and in the soft environment (the areas and time when you are preparing yourself and your subordinates for the fireground). We will discuss why the insignias on the officer’s collar stand for “conflict and confrontation” and help them to see that these seemingly negative connotations are leadership virtues for the effective officer. We will seek to reinforce the officer's prime directive: to continuously and consistently ensue the in-service and ready status of their command.
Thus, this class will explore such factors as setting expectations and setting proper example as well as discuss the skills of resolving subordinate issues. Safety of operations and the officer’s role in same will play a major role in officer development and fireground organization and will be addressed by discussing the art of command presence and street-command organization.
Session Type: Educational Session

Learning Objectives: 1. The student will be made to understand that what it takes to be an effective officer on the fireground begins far ahead of dispatch and arrival.
2. The student will identify areas in which officers fail to properly lead subordinates in both the soft and hard environments
3. The student will be better prepared to identify, set, and enforce expectations.
4. The student will be exposed to concept of Full Contact Leadership and its application to the modern fire service
5. The student will understand that the in-service and ready status of their Command / Company is the prime directive of their duties.
Session Type: Educational Session

Learning Objectives: 1. The student will be made to understand that what it takes to be an effective officer on the fireground begins far ahead of dispatch and arrival.
2. The student will identify areas in which officers fail to properly lead subordinates in both the soft and hard environments
3. The student will be better prepared to identify, set, and enforce expectations.
4. The student will be exposed to concept of Full Contact Leadership and its application to the modern fire service
5. The student will understand that the in-service and ready status of their Command / Company is the prime directive of their duties.